Considering a visit to Y‑12? If so, here are a few things you will want to know before your visit.
First and foremost, the Y‑12 National Security Complex resides in an especially beautiful part of our state in a valley between the Great Smoky Mountains and the Cumberland Mountains. Y‑12 is located in the City of Oak Ridge, just minutes away from downtown hotels, restaurants, and shopping.
Before your visit, your Y‑12 host or contact will make arrangements for you with Y‑12 Visitor Services. And, because Y‑12 plays an integral role in our nation’s nuclear defense policies and we have some of the most stringent security in the world, we ask that you become acquainted with our most basic security and safety rules and procedures before visiting.
Something all visitors need to know: because of our responsibilities to our national security, not all areas of Y‑12 will be available to you. We hope you will respect and understand our commitment to these responsibilities.
Upon arrival to the Y‑12 Complex, please check in with Visitor Services located in the New Hope Center on Scarboro Road. There are procedures and paperwork that will need to be completed before you access the Complex, so please check in with Visitor Services at least 30 minutes before any meeting you might have scheduled at Y‑12, and we will get you set up for an enjoyable visit. Office hours for Visitor Services are 6 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. EST Monday through Thursday.
If you have questions or would like additional information, contact Y‑12 Visitor Services, New Hope Center, 602 Scarboro Road, phone 865.574.3280, fax 865.574.7200.
Identification and/or Citizenship Requirements
When you arrive for your visit, please be prepared to provide us a form of government photo identification such as your driver's license or U.S. passport when you check in with Visitor Services. And, if you are an uncleared visitor — meaning you do not hold a federal security clearance — you will also be asked to complete some documentation to certify your U.S. citizenship. Once all of these procedures and paperwork are complete, we will issue you access to the Complex and you can begin your visit.
In accordance with the REAL ID Act, the Department of Homeland Security established implementing standards. Among these is a prohibition on using non‑REAL‑ID Act compliant driver’s licenses as proof of identity for access to restricted (i.e., non‑public access) areas of federal facilities. The Y‑12 Complex falls under these requirements.
Because of these required procedures and necessary paperwork, we ask that you check in at least 30 minutes before any scheduled meeting you might have at Y‑12.
Also, we want your visit to Y‑12 to be both enjoyable and productive. So, it’s important that we make you aware of some of our restrictions and policies.
Y‑12 prohibits the introduction, transportation or possession of weapons, explosives or other instruments likely to produce substantial injury to persons or property. This restriction includes:
- Items prohibited by local, state or federal law.
- Controlled substances (i.e., illegal drugs and associated paraphernalia).
- Privately owned explosive chemicals and devices.
- Privately owned handguns or rifles of any make or model, including air‑powered.
- Knives with blades longer than four inches.
- Privately owned ammunitions/projectiles (e.g., bullets, rockets, arrows, etc., that could be discharged from a weapon).
- Items that could be used to start fires, excluding personal lighters. (Heavy equipment may have up to 10 road flares and personal vehicles may have up to 5 road flares.)
Safe and Appropriate Footwear Policy
Everyone on site at Y‑12 is required to wear safe and appropriate footwear for our daily work activities and site conditions. As a visitor, you will also be expected to wear the same appropriate footwear.
- Heel height three inches or less, as measured at back of the heel.
- Heel width (side to side) one-half inch or more as measured at the tread surface.
- Heel closed or supported (strap) except with a medical restriction.
- Open toe shoes are allowed.
- Footwear upper covering (i.e., parts of a shoe that are above the sole) shall sufficiently secure the footwear.
- Flip flops, beach shoes, or similar footwear are not allowed, no medical exceptions allowed.
- Use of platform shoes over one inch are not allowed, except with a medical restriction.
- Non-skid soles are preferred. In addition, winter footwear should be considered during winter weather conditions.
Your Y‑12 host or contact is responsible for the implementation of this policy and will be the person to reinforce the importance of wearing safe and appropriate footwear.
Y-12 Motor Vehicle Safety Requirements
If your job requires you to drive a vehicle or operate company equipment at the Y-12 National Security Complex, you are responsible for the safe operation of the vehicle/equipment.
Drivers are required to:
- Have a valid driver’s license (commercial, if applicable).
- Ensure that required appropriate training has been completed for any vehicles or equipment operated.
- Use seat belts. They are mandatory in all vehicles and equipment.
- Operate motor vehicles in a safe manner according to applicable Federal, state, and local ordinances, laws, and regulations, including Tennessee Rules of the Road, traffic controls, posted signs, pavement markings, and other applicable requirements.
- Utilize a spotter when possible, especially when backing into any area that does not provide clear visual access.
Y-12 Speed Limits
Comply with the following speed limits unless posted otherwise:
- Bear Creek Road – 35 mph
- Interior Roadways – 25 mph
- Protected Area and Parking Areas – 15 mph
Motor Vehicle Safety: Cell Phones and Electronic Devices
Personnel MAY NOT use cellular telephones or portable electronic devices while operating a vehicle:
- If the vehicle, phone, or device is owned, leased, or rented by the Company/US Government
- If the vehicle is personally owned and you are onsite or offsite at a Company leased/owned facility
- While conducting Company business – regardless of vehicle or location
This includes hands-free and Bluetooth devices. Portable Electronic Device include such devices as e-readers, MP3 players, netbooks, tablets, and laptop computers.
These requirements applies to CNS employees, subcontractors, vendors and visitors.
Report all government owned, GSA motor and privately owned vehicle incidents that occur on-site or during business-related travel.
- Call Plant Shift Superintendent (911 [from Y-12 landline phones] or 865-574-7172).
Directions to the Y‑12 Visitor Center
All visitors to the Y‑12 National Security Complex must first check in at the Y‑12 Visitor Center, which is open from 6:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Eastern Time Monday through Thursday. The Visitor Center is located in New Hope Center, 602 Scarboro Road, at the corner of Scarboro and East Portal roads. The Visitor Center office is on the first floor of New Hope Center and accessible through the main lobby in the center of the building. Entry into the parking area is off East Portal Road.
- From McGhee Tyson Airport (29 miles) — From the airport, drive north on US129 (Alcoa/Airport Hwy; TN/SR115) toward Knoxville. In about 4 miles the highway passes over I‑140 (Pellissippi Parkway; TN/SR162), which leads west to Oak Ridge. Therefore, at the north side of the US129 overpass, take the exit to I‑140W (turn right; the exit circles back under US129 and onto I‑140W). After about 2.3 miles I‑140W passes over the Tennessee River (Fort Loudoun Lake) from Blount to Knox County; in another 8 miles, it passes over I‑40/I‑75 and thereafter continues northwest as Pellissippi Parkway (TN/SR162). Then … *
- From the South (Chattanooga, 130 miles) — After I‑75N and I‑40E join at mile marker 84, continue east (toward Knoxville). Take Exit 376 onto I‑140W (Pellissippi Parkway; TN/SR162N) northwest toward Oak Ridge. Then … *
- From the East (Asheville, 137 miles) — Take I‑40W. At the western perimeter of Knoxville, take Exit 376 onto I‑140W (Pellissippi Parkway; TN/SR162N) northwest toward Oak Ridge. Then … *
- From the West (Nashville, 170 miles) — From I‑40E take Exit 376 to I‑140 (Pellissippi Parkway; TN/SR162N) northwest toward Oak Ridge. Then … *
- From the North (Lexington, 170 miles) — From I‑75S, take I‑640W to I‑40W. Then at the western perimeter of Knoxville, take I‑40 Exit 376 to I‑140 (Pellissippi Parkway; TN/SR162N) northwest toward Oak Ridge. Then … *
Guides, Area Maps, Airport…
- Airport, About: McGhee Tyson Airport
- Airport: map to Oak Ridge/Knoxville
- Oak Ridge: City Guide for City of Oak Ridge, Tennessee
- Knoxville: maps for visitors
- Oak Ridge: area map with location of Y-12 Visitor's Center
- Roane County: Roane County Guide
Resources: News, History…
- Knoxville: Knoxville, Tennessee
- Knoxville: Museums
- Knoxville: Knoxville News-Sentinel
- Oak Ridge: City of Oak Ridge
- Oak Ridge: Chamber of Commerce
- Oak Ridge: Convention and Visitors Bureau
- Oak Ridge: Oak Ridger
- Oak Ridge: Secret City History
Area Attractions: To Do and See
- Knoxville: Clarence Brown Theater
- Knoxville: Frank H. McClung Museum
- Knoxville: Knoxville Zoo
- Knoxville: Museums
- Knoxville: Tennessee Theatre, The State Theatre of Tennessee
- Knoxville: University of Tennessee (UT) Football
- Knoxville: UT Basketball: Lady Vols
- Knoxville: Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame
- Oak Ridge: American Museum of Science and Energy
- Oak Ridge: Children’s Museum
- Oak Ridge: Oak Ridge Playhouse
- Bristol Park Apartments
790 Emory Valley Road, Oak Ridge, TN 37830
- Comfort Inn
433 South Rutgers Avenue, Oak Ridge, TN 37830
865.481.8200 (1.800.228.5150), fax 865.483.6142
1.2 miles from Y-12
- Corporate Quarters, Inc.
10912 Murdock Road, Knoxville, TN 37932
- Days Inn
206 South Illinois Avenue, Oak Ridge, TN 37830
865.483.5615 (1.800.544.8313), fax 865.483.5615
1.7 miles from Y-12
- DoubleTree® Hotel
215 South Illinois Avenue, Oak Ridge, TN 37830
865.481.2468; 1.800.222.8733 (1.800.222.TREE), fax 865.481.2474
1.7 miles from Y-12
- Hampton Inn
208 South Illinois Avenue, Oak Ridge, TN 37830
865.482.7889 (1.800.HAMPTON), fax 865.482.7493
1.6 miles from Y-12
- Holiday Inn Express
114 Tulsa Rd, Oak Ridge, TN 37830
2.1 miles from Y-12
- Quality Inn
216 South Rutgers Avenue, Oak Ridge, TN 37830
865.483.6809, reservations: 505.247.2333, fax 865.483.8435
1.9 miles from Y-12
- Staybridge Suites
420 South Illinois Avenue, Oak Ridge, TN 37830
865.298.0050 (1.877.238.8889), fax 865.298.0051
1 mile from Y-12
- TownePlace Suites by Marriott
300 S Rutgers Ave, Oak Ridge, TN 37830
1.7 miles from Y-12