Central Scrap Management Office
The Y‑12 Central Scrap Management Office serves as the U.S. Department of Energy repository for unirradiated uranium and provide technical assistance to DOE customers in the disposition of scrap uranium. CSMO manages scrap recovery, storage and disposition services for DOE programs.
CSMO at the Y‑12 National Security Complex provides centralized leadership and management of unirradiated enriched uranium scrap recovery and disposition services for DOE programs. The Office may also consider other nuclear materials for which the Y‑12 National Security Complex serves as the custodian and steward, including lithium, deuterium and heavy water.
The Y‑12 CSMO
- provides technical assistance to DOE customers
- acts as the liaison between customers and internal Y‑12 organizations
- Manages CSMO receipts and shipments at Y‑12.
- DOE facilities
- Office of Radiological Security
- naval reactors
- universities returning loaned or leased uranium
Here’s what you do
- Complete scrap declaration forms
- Submit to Y‑12 CSMO for review
- After approval, submit the Shipment Summary Form
- Contact the Product Return Liason and submit the Request for Authorization to Ship request
- Submit the DOE NRC Form 741 to the Y‑12 Nuclear Material and Control Organization and to Becky Eddy, NNSA/NPO
What CSMO Does
- Complete evaluation of scrap (or storage) declaration
- Determine if the material and packaging meets Y‑12 acceptance criteria
- Submit to DOE/NNSA-Y‑12 Site CSMO for review and approval
- Provide response to shipper
- Coordinate receipt of the shipment