Evacuations are ordered if a hazardous release could affect people in a specific area. If you are directed by local news to evacuate your home or workplace please follow these guidelines:
- Write down the evacuation route and designated shelter provided by an Emergency Alert System station. Instructions will depend on the sector you are currently in (see Evacuation Map & Routes) and the specific site involved in the emergency.
- If you do not have transportation, call a neighbor or co-worker for assistance. Do not call 911.
- If you are at home, gather items you will need for an extended leave:
- Blankets and pillows
- Cell phone
- Change of clothing
- Credit/Debit Cards
- Important papers
- Secure your home or workplace. Before leaving, tie a white cloth or towel on your front door to indicate your departure to emergency officials.
- Tune your vehicle’s radio to one of the Emergency Alert System stations (see Public Notifications).
- Keep your vehicle windows closed and turn off air systems to eliminate the possible intake of outside air into your vehicle.
If you or someone in your household has special needs that prevents them from taking protective actions, contact the local government serving your residence and submit a special needs request.
- For citizens in the Oak Ridge city limits, contact the Oak Ridge Police Department at 865.425.4399.
- For county residents, contact the identified office in your respective county: Roane County Sheriff’s Department (865.354.8045), Anderson County Sheriff’s Department (865.457.2414), Loudon County Emergency Management Agency Office (865.988.0175).
Children in School
During an emergency, affected schools will be contacted immediately by local officials. Your children will be sheltered in their school until it is safe to leave. In the event of a relocation, school officials will evacuate your children to a pre-determined location, away from the affected area.
Do not pick up your children from school or leave your shelter until it is safe to do so.
Y‑12 Two-Mile Sector (Y) School Relocations
Schools and daycares will relocate to Anderson County High School in Clinton.